Bladio Blogio

Monday, September 15, 2008

Getting to know you - and your phobias

Pete and I are taking a class called "Bringing Baby Home" that teaches you about how not to be a-holes to each other after the baby enters the household. I'm kidding, it's about having good couple communication to lower stress, etc. to keep the whole family happier. So far it's a really good class.

Anyway one of the exercises we did was a sort of "how well do you know your partner" deal where we had to answer a bunch of questions the way we thought our partners would answer them. So, things like, What's their favorite color, What are their hobbies, etc.

My favorite one was "What are your partner's phobias?"

Pete answered for me: 1. Sea creatures 2. Getting killed

I answered for Pete: Republicans

We both guessed right and I thought it was funny how different our answers were. I guess that's part of why we're a good pair - if we were both super-worried about the same thing we probably wouldn't ever get anything done.

I should note that I don't fear getting killed by sea creatures - these are two completely different phobias. I fear sea creatures touching my leg or biting or pincing me. KWW just sent me an NPR article about a spa where fish nibble the dead skin off your feet - this is very gross and because she's such a good friend she prefaced the article with "We won't go here!!!".

The "getting killed" one is very general and applies to pretty much any time or place.

6 Comments:

At 9/15/2008 2:55 PM , Blogger Ash said...

When I started reading the second paragraph I had a flashback of your soup vs. mac-n-cheese debacle!

P.S. I also have a sea creature phobia but I think from now on I am going to call it a “marine life phobia” because “sea creature” makes me think of mythical creatures and that might make me sound crazier than I actually am.

 
At 9/16/2008 8:01 AM , Blogger momster said...

Remember on the beach in Florida? When you screamed? What was it- a dead jellyfish?

 
At 9/16/2008 8:35 AM , Blogger NuclearToast said...

Phobias are nothing to be afraid of. But Republicans are.

 
At 9/16/2008 9:05 AM , Blogger momster said...

Also, just so you know, your 'Rant and Rave' link no longer connects to the most current one.

P.S. Last night at the dinner table Jamie informed us that there is a phobia about getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth. She couldn't remember what it was called.

 
At 9/16/2008 11:18 AM , Blogger momster said...

Arachibutyrophobia!

 
At 9/21/2008 6:38 AM , Blogger kww said...

In Florida sometimes when you swim in the ocean, schools of fish come swimming by and start flipping out of the water in a weird way. This was always quite frightening to us--we would run like crazy. Well guess what, this summer there were several shark attacks (or several attacks by the same shark?) and they said if the fish start flipping you better run. I call that natural selection--we have been trained to fear the flipping fish as a survival mechanism. So perhaps the two are connected at an evolutionary level...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home