Bladio Blogio

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Okay all you Funkhausers

I finished The Magician's Assistant last night. It was really great. If you enjoy contemporary fiction, I recommend Ann Patchett. She's a great writer. The funny thing is that Bel Canto seems to be her most popular book but it's my least favorite of hers. The second half of the book takes place in Alliance, NE. I'm from NE but I've never been to Alliance. Some her characters in Alliance seemed a bit stereotypical small-town, which made me feel weird - but I don't know much about true life in a small town so what can I say? One example was a person in her 50's who'd never had Eggs Benedict.

Also - I can't believe she could set her book in Alliance without mentioning Carhenge.

11 Comments:

At 10/06/2005 1:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read Magician's Assistant yet, but I really liked The Patron Saint of Liars much more than Bel Canto.
I have been to Carhenge in person! I knew you would be proud.

 
At 10/06/2005 1:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had eggs benedict.

I read all those A. P. books in a row (first BC, then Patron, then MA, then Taft). I liked them all. Bel Canto is so different from the others though, but it was the one that got me tuned in so I have a sentimental place for it in my heart.

 
At 10/06/2005 1:51 PM , Blogger bladio said...

re: eggs benedict...that doesn't count because you won't eat any condiments or weird sauces, and i bet you place hollandaise sauce in that category!!!!

 
At 10/06/2005 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like not ever EATING Eggs Benedict is different from not having HEARD of them. If she hadn't eaten them it was probably by choice. If she'd never heard of them she was a bad stereotype of a small town inhabitant.
I, too, have never eaten E.B. because the thought of runny eggs with sauce on top scares me.

 
At 10/06/2005 2:12 PM , Blogger bladio said...

that's a good point. in this case, the lady then ate some Eggs Benedict that the sophisticated visitor from california made for her. the feeling i got was she had heard of them, but she hadn't had them because they don't have them in small-town Neb. and when the CA person made them, it was seen as an urban treat.

mmmmm Eggs Benedict!!!!

 
At 10/07/2005 1:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry...what is a funkhauser?

 
At 10/09/2005 11:29 PM , Blogger bladio said...

the funkhausers are family friends of larry's on curb your enthusiasm... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251872/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0193836/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007210/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0753246/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080524/

 
At 10/16/2005 8:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

um where the hell are you!???!

 
At 10/17/2005 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right, of course. I have definitely heard of them, seen them, know about many varieties of eggs benedict, but have simply CHOSEN not to try them. Thank you KTS for articulating exactly my feelings about eggs benedict. As an aside, it is my Uncle Rob's specialty dish--although he is from Omaha, my guess is he perfected his art in Dallas. Because I never see Uncle Rob I have never had to hurt his feelings (or sucked it up and just tried them) by not eating his famous breakfast dish.

 
At 10/18/2005 4:51 PM , Blogger Tina Rowley said...

Bladio Blogio, it's time to tell us some more stuff. We miss you.

 
At 10/19/2005 6:43 PM , Blogger bladio said...

KWW and KTS, you should have my dad fix you up with a poached egg on toast, it might change your mind, yum.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home