Totino's
I love Totino's pizza. It has a nice crispy crust and there's not too much cheese or sauce, so it's not like you are comparing it to regular pizza from a pizzaria. I mean, if I'm eating a regular frozen pizza, I'm like, this is not as good as the Bill's pizza. Blech. That does not happen when eating Totino's because what in the heck restaurant would serve a pizza like that?! But it's still so delicious.Recently I have had real trouble finding my favorite flavor, which is Supreme: sausage, pepperoni, green pepper and onion. I have checked at least 4 grocery stores for this flavor to no avail - there's not even a spot to hold them. (You know like if the store is out of the item you will see a blank spot with a little label. Just in case you aren't familiar with that phenomenon.) I was almost to the point of going to their website to see if they had discontinued that flavor!*
Anyhoo I found the flavor today at my local Safeway. I haven't been there for a long time because it's kind of a pain in the butt to go there. The little QFC has the things I need on a daily basis and simple parking. It's a quick in and out. And the big QFC has good produce and not quick parking, but reasonable. And it has the self-scan checkout which is fun. The only reason to go to Safeway, historically, is to buy fizzy water because QFC doesn't have our favorite brand (La Croix).
What is your favorite Totino's flavor, readers? Or perhaps you prefer a different brand?
And what about Totino's pizza rolls? I love those too. A LOT. But I only eat them when out-of-town guests are here. They are especially good when served side-by-side with jalapeno poppers. I have a friend who will NEVER eat another Pizza Roll AGAIN because as a youth he took a full-on bite into one and it was ICE COLD in the middle.
This post is dedicated to the meredoerr, who mentioned Totino's in one of her posts. I like the image of the meredoerr and drew eating Totino's with Caper looking on.
* As research for this post, I did visit their website today. Here is an entry from their FAQ:
What if I cannot find my favorite flavor of Totino's® Pizza? We would like to have all stores carry all our products. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case. We recommend you express your interest in purchasing a particular product to your local store manager.

8 Comments:
Hi, Blade! I have been lapse in my commenting lately, but I have been reading and enjoying as usual. Is it sad that Totino's pizza is what forced me to finally comment? Not Elton John, who like you, I love and who, like Pete, DBD only recently and reluctantly acknowledged an appreciation for. For the record, I love Someone Saved My Life Tonight for sentimental reasons, Bennie and the Jets for pure song enjoyment reasons (along with many others, of course) and dislike Candle in the Wind. Anyway, I too love Totino's pizza! It has a strange but delicious crispy, air pockety crust. My favorite is Supreme, too, but I also like plain Pepperoni. Sadly, I have not had it in years and in fact, I thought they had stopped making it. All I ever seem to see here in CA is Jeno's which is NOT the same and NOT delicious. What I want to know is have you tried the new fruity Cheerios? They look like they could be delicious or disgusting, but I really can't tell. And do they even make Frosted Cheerios anymore? I thought those were good. Dang, now I'm hungry.
Even though I haven't had a Totino's pizza in so long that I can't remember when it was, after reading this post I'm hungry for one. The frozen pizzas I eat at home are the little 6-inch Safeway brand of self-rising crust pizzas, either roasted vegetables "flavor" or garlic and mushrooms. Being a mostly-veggie, I don't eat the meaty kinds.
Does anyone remember McDonald's McPizza? Man, I miss those, they were like a hot pocket pizza that you could get from Mickey Frikkin Deeze.
Best post ever!
So really there is nothing that could make me happier than reading about Totino's pizzas. I too LOVE these pizzas. I agree with Sarah, there is something strangely wonderful about the crispy air-filled crust. My favorite is cheese - simple yet delicious. Drew's current favorite is the combination of sausage and pepperoni. I think I also love it because I can easily eat the whole thing and not feel totally like a pig. Granted I am full, but it's a happy fullness.
I completely understand the panic you may have been feeling when you couldn't find it at your local stores. When we first moved to Chicago, I couldn't find them in any of the normals stores. In fact I resorted to having my parents bring me some in a cooler from MN when they came and visited! Pathetic? Perhaps, but completely worth it. I have since discovered that they carry it at Cub Foods (a MN based grocery chain). The only problem is that their stores are not very close or convenient, so when there I majorly stock up. Plus, who doesn't love it when they are on sale for 10 for a $10 dollars. Sometimes I worry that I should be concerned that a whole pizza only costs a dollar.
I never had pizza rolls growing up but Drew has introduced me to their deliciousness. We don't have them nearly as often as we should.
Also, in terms of other favorite frozen pizza brands, I do enjoy the Tombstone when Totino's is out of stock.
Whew, that was a long comment. Sorry.
Totino's pizza brings back memories. First, when I was little and we had a babysitter we would get to have Totino's pizza and even a soda!
Second, in college, Jon and his roommates used to buy them in bulk. He would always grate cheddar (YES, CHEDDAR!) cheese on top before baking it. I thought that was really weird. I married him anyway.
Square, cheese, Freschetta. Tasty - but watch out for significant others dumping another pound of cheese on there.
I have a few favorite frozen pizzas.
1) Freschetta cheese with sauce stuffed crust. I am normally not a crust eater, but with sauce in it it’s like a breadstick dipped in sauce and I love that! Also, their sauce has a little bit of a spicy flavor to it which I like.
2) Freschetta brick oven thin crust. This one doesn’t really have a crust so that problem is solved and it is square! This is good for a number of reasons, but the main ones being that it is easier for me to devour a square piece of pizza versus a wedge shaped piece and it fits better on the cookie sheet than a round pizza.
3) I also like those California Pizza Kitchen fancy frozen pizzas. The obviously aren’t as good as a fresh pizza from CPK, but they are good.
* I also really like making my own English muffin pizzas.
**Small Fish: An extra pound of cheese makes anything better!
The English muffin pizzas reminded me of delicious Triscuit pizzas that I lived off of in college. Zap them in the microwave long enough so that the cheese melts and you get a crunchy, salty and yummy midnight snack.
Love those Totinos, especially the sausage and pepperoni combo. Just sausage is good too. I try not to think about the orange-colored sauce that you sometimes get.
And yes, sometimes some shredde cheddar on top is just the thing to make a meal!
I love the pizza rolls. too.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home