O Elton, my Elton
It was awesome. It was incredible.I really can't describe how wonderful the show was, and dear Elton himself. He was so charming, he seemed to be having a lot of fun, he was wearing cool narrow blue-lensed glasses, his hair looked really good. The band was excellent too.
We found our seats right at 8 (because of a slight fondue snafu which warrants its own post). I wanted to go get a beer but right then the lights dimmed so we sat down. And there was the sound of wind. Do you know what that means people? I wasn't sure. I hoped I knew what it meant but I thought it wasn't possible. And then I heard that tolling bell sound and I knew it was true - he opened the show with my all-time favorite Elton song, "Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding". I had convinced myself he wouldn't play it because I didn't want to be disappointed when he didn't.
It was very emotional for me.
Some of you may find this all very melodramatic, but I don't know, he just gets to me somehow.
Here are the results of what he played according to my lists:
I hope he plays (not limited to these) (and - not in any order):
-- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road --> Y
-- Madman Across the Water --> N (would've been a huge bonus)
-- Buh buh buh Benny and the Jets --> Y (he didn't sing the "Buh buh buh" - he just paused and sang "Benny")
-- Your Song --> Y
-- Levon --> Y
-- Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding --> Y
-- I've Seen that Movie Too --> N
-- All the Girls Love Alice --> N
-- Tiny Dancer --> Y
-- Rocket Man --> Y
-- Daniel --> Y
-- Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters --> Y (my 2nd-favorite song, thus a huge bonus)
-- Nikita --> N
-- I'm Still Standing --> N
-- Little Jeannie --> N
-- Sad Songs (Say So Much) --> N
-- I Don't Wanna Go On with You Like That --> N
-- I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues --> Y
Songs I hope he doesn't play (again not inclusive and not in any order):
-- Crocodile Rock --> Y
-- Candle in the Wind --> N (WHEW!!!!!!!!!!)
-- Honky Cat --> N
-- Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting --> Y
-- The Bitch is Back --> Y (o well, what are ya gonna do...)
-- Island Girl --> N
-- Jamaica Jerk Off --> N
-- Rotten Peaches --> N
-- Can You Feel the Love Tonight --> N
I have mixed feelings about the following (ahem - again not inclusive and not in any order blah blah blah):
-- Philadelphia Freedom --> Y
-- Don't Go Breaking my Heart --> N
-- Razor Face --> N
-- Sweet Painted Lady --> N
-- Gray Seal --> N
He played some songs from his newest album, including "Tinderbox," "The Bridge", "Postcards From Richard Nixon," and "Old 67." They were good too, there may have been others that I'm not thinking of now.
A couple of others that he played that weren't on my lists, but I was super happy to hear:
-- Believe
-- Someone Saved My Life Tonight
-- I Want Love
Fortunately he bunched up all the songs I don't like into one section towards the end and then returned to the stuff I like. He played for 2 hours and 50 minutes. Wow, wow, wow is all I can say.
I took pictures and videos so I'll post some of those later on.
I won't speak for Pete here except to say that he enjoyed it too.

7 Comments:
Cool! Aren't you glad you were on time? Who needs beer anyway...
sounds like it was incredible!
sounds like it was incredible!
whoops I did that twice. But really I am sure the concert was double-y awesome.
Oh man, I am jealous, that sounds freakin fantastic! I wish I had been with you...
btw...I finally checked my cell phone messages--it is dead and I can't find my charger in the boxes, and I had two calls from your cell phone but with dead air--no message. I hope I am not missing important info...
OR LIVE SIR E.J.
I miss you guys!
kww
Sounds great! Did he have a lot of costume changes?
freaking awesome. i was lucky enough to get pete on the phone last night when he was talking to dup and i said, "it must be love because if you had told me 5 years ago that pete miller was at an elton john concert, i would have called you a liar." and he said, "i'm a total convert. it's so much better to like something." i have to tell you, that really got me. you lucky gal, you picked a winner. both pete and elton love you. so cool that he played your very favorite first. that's great!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home