Bladio Blogio

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

College Days

The pending nuptuals of Clancy (okay I think these days she goes by Christy most of the time) in L.A. this weekend inspired me to look at old photos. I met Clancy during 1st semester freshman year (1992!!) in Rhetoric class, required for all Iowa freshmen. We had a pretty tight Rhetoric class with a cool TA. It was Tues and Thurs from 4-5:30, and as we all got to know each other those of us living in Burge, Daum and Currier would walk home together after class. Clancy was my first real friend at Iowa. My high school creative writing teacher (who had also gone to Iowa) had told me that I would meet someone on my dorm floor with whom I'd really gel and become good friends with for the rest of my time at Iowa. But all the people on my floor were completely insane and awful. Clancy filled that void for me and soon I found myself eating lunch and dinner with her and her super-nice friends, like Heather, Courtney, Gina, Julie, Kevin, Sweet Jay. There was a time when Clancy was considering transferring to a school that offered marine biology, and I was so upset about that. Fortunately she changed her mind and stayed at Iowa.

Clancy and I lived together in Currier Hall during sophomore year, 1993-1994.

Halloween (Harriet the Spy and a dead queen):




Courtney (L) and Heather (R) will be at the wedding this weekend:



So will Gina:

Clancy, from glam to casual dancer:




Serious times in S-428:

Silly times in S-428:






These (below) were taken on our last night as sophomores in Currier Hall. The next day we moved out and into our off-campus life. Looking at these I'm always left with a bittersweet feeling. After this day, I turned into a big freak (well, I had already started the transition prior to this) and nothing was really the same for me after that. I was young and dumb, I'd like to think. All I know is that I'm so glad to have reconnected with Clancy and to be going to her wedding this weekend. I remember running into her on Iowa Ave in Iowa city a year after graduation (I think I had met kww and Watie in IC for Anupam's graduation from med school??) and it was like nothing had changed. We hugged and I had an Iowa sweatshirt from the bookstore in my bag (which I would have never worn during my undergrad days because only greeks wore those then). And ever since then things have been good. I'm so happy for Clancy, ahem Christy, and Jason. And Clancy - thanks for forgiving me for when I was awful.


1 Comments:

At 10/12/2006 12:16 PM , Blogger Ash said...

14 years later and still rockin' the Converse! You are so cute! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home