Mystery Solved!!!
I finally got down to some real detective work last night and we now have the answer to who took a piece out of the top layer of our wedding cake. Before I reveal the culprit, please take a look at the photographic evidence and see if you can figure it out for yourself.
Exhibit A. The cake in the Tupperware in our freezer. Note missing piece. This photo was taken on Saturday, October 29.

Exhibit B. Our wedding cake. This photo was taken on the day of the wedding.

Exhibit C. Pete and I cutting the cake at our wedding.
Clues- Exhibit A. Note the cake in our freezer has very smooth frosting and is pretty small. I actually just measured it and it's about 5 ½ inches across.
- Exhibit B. Note the top tier of the wedding cake has little dots of decorative frosting on it i.e. it is not smooth.
- Exhibit C. NOTE THE CAKE WE ARE CUTTING IS SMOOTH AND SMALL AND HAS A FARKING HOMIES TOPPER ON IT.
- The cake in our freezer sans piece is Pete's groom's cake.
- It has had a piece out of it since July 30, 2005.
- I just forgot that it was his groom's cake and that it had a piece out of it because I hadn't noticed it in the freezer for awhile. I think it was behind some old Poppers and ice cream that I chucked for being too old to eat.
How the Mystery Was Solved
Pete and I had decided to just eat the cake since the frosting barrier had been broken. Make lemonade, as they say. Especially since there was another leftover cake layer in there. I pulled the violated cake out of the freezer last night and opened the lid. I saw little pieces of coconut in the cake. Only Pete's groom's cake had coconut in it; our main wedding cake had lemon filling. So I ran and looked at the cake photos in our wedding proof book and alas, you know the rest.
What a farking idiot!
What I Have Learned
- Do not panic.
- Do not jump to conclusions.
- Investigate the evidence BEFORE you freak out on your blog and yammer endlessly to all your friends at work about it.
- Pete is the best husband as he was very supportive while I freaked out. I mean I already knew he's the best but now I am even more certain.
- My sweet friends get totally pissed when they believe I've been wronged.
And to all of you who thought Pete ate it, next time I will listen to you! Ha!
Oh and one more thing. I think I forgot to mention in previous posts that there was another leftover layer of cake from our wedding. It turns out that that one is the top tier of our actual wedding cake. And yes, it's intact and ready for our 1-year anniversary. I know I should be really happy that a) the mystery is solved and b) our actual top tier cake is intact. But really I just feel like a bummed out idiot!

6 Comments:
holy crap - nice work nancy
Oh, Carloinity!
My friend, I am so relieved. Do not feel like an idiot. Think of the spice and excitement, real drama that you brought to our lives. A mystery so unusual, yet completely imaginable. I can only smile smile smile. I also love the reveal...so perfect. You are amazing Carolyn. Ooh how I love you. And Pete, I know this must have been rough--in some ways the prime culprit--even trying to admit to a crime you didn't commit for the peace of mind of your sweet wife...ah, I also love you. What a good man!
I will sleep easy tonight (unless Simon's cough continues to keep me awake...)
Now you can have your cake and eat it too!
i was so close to just fessing up to it too! glad i'm off the hook... xo
I also was going to 'fess up. The situation seemed so painful. I was going to make up a story about breaking in.
Just know that maybe I could break in, should anything go missing in the future.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home