Reader Poll
Here's a poll for you, my dear readers. The question is:
Put yourself in this situation. Every time you go out to breakfast, lunch, or dinner with your partner, significant other and/or spouse, that person leaves the table (presumably to visit the restroom). Sometimes this happens 10 minutes after leaving home. Important note: this happens EVERY TIME at EVERY MEAL.
How would you feel about this? Here is the scale.
1 - Very happy.
2 - Somewhat happy.
3 - Neutral / who cares.
4 - Somewhat annoyed.
5 - Pissed.
6 - Depressed.
7 - Lonely.
8 - Worried that something was wrong with the person.
9 - Exasperated.
10 - I would blow a gasket and leave the restaurant in revenge.
Thanks in advance for your participation!!
--Blade

15 Comments:
I think #8, and then #3 once I got to the bottom of it.
#1, very happy. This is a person that likes to save on our water bill, and probably has good hygiene because they are washing their hands before eating the restaurant food. Plus they're not dirtying our bathroom at home by doing these things. THAT'S LOVE!
#3: I can't imagine that I would even notice, unless they're gone for an inordinately long time and come back smelling of mouthwash. And as Nuclear Toast's "significant other," I'd like to leave a comment for him: what exactly do you think the bathroom at home is for?
Brushing your teeth! And showering. But that's all.
I think probably #3. But you could also have another option between neutral and annoyed, which would be something like "curious" or "puzzled" or "bewildered", which I might pick. 3 and a half?
Then again, I'm that bathroom person right now. But I got a 'scuse.
Does this happen right after you get to the restaurant? Or just at some random point? I can kind of see both in a way. If it's right after you get there, maybe it's a thing where this hypothetical person wants to be able to totally settle down into the dining experience, and would like everything that might interrupt it out of the way. And if it's later, well, you know, things can't be helped.
I would just be happy that I don't have to accompany this person to the restroom. Usually my daughters pick the moment that my meal is set in front of me as the time they most desperately need to go to the restroom.
I'd be mostly #3 (neutral) unless they consistantly timed it so that they were never there when the wait-person came by to ask for the drink order and I always had to tell them (the waiter) to come back later. That would get old fairly quick. But if it got to be a habit and started to annoy me I'd probably start making fun of them for it, and constantly ask moronic questions like, "Did everything come out all right in the end?" and maybe they'd just change their behavior to avoid my idiocy. Inanity?
By the way, you said that the other person leaves the table, I'm assuming they subsequently come back. Because otherwise that completely changes my answer!
And, if this is a person you know really well, and they are gone for drink orders, you could take a wild ass guess and say 'Um, he'll have a Pepsi'. For example.
so far none of you have answered the way i wanted you to. oh well.
10! So pissed my head is going to explode! Ahhhhhh!!!
Nope, that's not it either. Sigh.
Is it....lonely?
If they are leaving before the meal you can at least not worry about bulimia--which is what I am always watching for, so that rules out number 8. Obviously, you like this person, so you wouldn't be happy that they always leave you alone at the resturant. I can't imagine being neutral on something like theat where it keeps happening. Part of the big question is why--why? Why leave the table for the restroom? Is it hand washing? Is it to check if something is stuck between your teeth? Is it to use the toilet? Is it because you can't stop moving around? Is there a question that maybe the person is going somewhere else? Is there an option to follow the person to the washroom. See what is going on. Perhaps they are evaluating the local loos on the "roger weitz bathroom friendliness scale" for an article/book/poem?
I wouldn't be able to leave--that is just not my nature, so I guess I would be nosey--in a 4/5/9 kind of way.
I'm sticking with my number one. On your scale, I mean.
they are a drug addict and should be shot
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home