The Travelling Crock of Macaroni and Cheese
So I got married last summer to Pete, the coolest nicest man you will ever meet, also he is cute and sometimes his hair is funny.
KWW was my matron of honor and this post is about her spectacular execution of duties, above and beyond. First of all I was KWW's maid of honor back in 1998 (right?). It was super fun. That's a whole post in itself so hey let's focus on MY WEDDING for crap's sake. (I used to work with this guy who would always say "for crap's sake!" and when he was upset or annoyed he would mumble, "crappin', crappin'…")
The night before the big day, I slept at the hotel with KWW, her husband Watie (who was also our ceremony officiant, and oh yeah he did a kick-ass job too) and their cool son Simon (incidentally, our top-notch ring bearer). They had a suite and I slept in one side and they slept in the other. My dress was hanging up high on the doorframe so I admired it with one sleepy eye all night. Oh did I mention that my dress was the most farkin cool dress ever in the world? In the morning we ordered room service. I think some bacon was involved, and for sure some eggs.
I put on a shirt with a zipper that KWW had bought for the occasion. You see, you don't want to get your hair done while wearing a t-shirt. Because then when it's time to take off your t-shirt to put your dress on, you are hosed, because that action will screw up your magical bridal hairdo. Katie and I marched down the block with my veil to get my hair done.
There was a minor glitch at the hair place. I had had a practice hairdo a couple weeks prior by someone named Renee. The deal is you do the practice with the person, they take pictures, they remember what they did in practice, and then they recreate it on the big day and it's totally perfect. Well Renee was sick on the actual day! I was scared but it turned out fine. I mean, what the substitute lady did was not the exact same but it was still nice. Okay awesome:

Oh so then we went back to the hotel. During this time, Pete was hanging out with Slick, David and Jen. They ate eggs at Zeena's and talked about freezer jam.
At the hotel we ordered room service lunch. I can't remember what my actual lunch was but we did order a crock of macaroni and cheese on the side. But I got too nervous to eat the macaroni and cheese. It was suddenly time to get dressed and take off to meet Pete and Slick at the Japanese Gardens for pre-ceremony photos.
I need to pause here and say that I'm not accustomed to staying at the Grand Hyatt Seattle and ordering room service. So when I tell you of the luxury to follow – perhaps because of my fancy blogio, you view me as some sort of grande dame eating bon-bons and reading that one magazine I can't think of the name of – Town & Country? – but really I'm just a regular ol' white middle-class schmo. And yet, according to KWW and her amazing mom, I am worthy of traveling around Seattle in a town car driven by a Russian named Alex.
I KNOW! You can't believe it, right?
Well I put on my dress and makeup and everything. Katie wore her regular clothes with the intention of changing later. And we bopped on down to the Hyatt drop-off to hop into the town car.
KWW was fully prepared with a supply of treats, chiefly champagne. She had a special champagne glass for me that lit up. Like, it had batteries in it and it glowed blue. So cool. (I still have it.) We traveled in air-conditioned style to the Japanese Gardens and on the way she showed me – dun dun dun dun! – the crock of macaroni and cheese.
That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the post could end right here with that sentence. What kind of wonderful person would pack a crock of macaroni and cheese into the bride's survival kit?
Well KWW of course, that's who.
But as long as we're this far, let me continue. I was too nervous to eat. I saw Pete in his tux, what a handsome groom. We did photos. It was hot. It was annoying to stand in the sun and smile for hours. Finally we were done and on the way to the wedding site.
There were more photos at the wedding site. Ugh. It got old fast. The photos, that is, not the rest of the fun. And FINALLY it was time to hide in the back and wait for the whole freakin thing to begin!
Oh and guess what? Guess who was hungry for a snack? ME! And guess who had a snack on hand? KWW! And guess what it was! Well macaroni and cheese of course! The bridal party hung around in our special room drinking champagne (courtesy of our awesome wedding site) and single-malt Scotch whisky (um, was it Macallan?) and eating macaroni and cheese. I ate some, and I know my nieces, the excellent flower girls, ate some. Not sure who else.
But what I have to say to all of you out there is when considering folks for your maid or matron of honor, please consider how long they're willing to tote around a crock of macaroni and cheese – WITHOUT YOU ASKING – and then make your decision carefully.
Some other day I'll tell you other wedding stories.

4 Comments:
Oh Carolyn, I love you.
What a crock!
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
As a guy, and genetically pre-programmed to be ambivalent about weddings, I still must say I found this extremely well-written story to be a can't-put-it-down page-turner. I had to keep reading until I found out exactly what happened to the macaroni and cheese! (Spoiler alert: The butler =didn't= do it!)
KWW - you rock! What an awesome friend! On a side note Bladio, it would have been funny (in a laugh about it later sort of way) if you woke up in the middle of the night in the dark hotel room without your glasses on and started screaming because there was a long flowing white figure hovering in your room. At first you might have thought that it was a ghost and then realized that it was just your wedding dress hanging on the door frame! ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home