Bladio Blogio

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

This is what democracy feels like:

A hard chair under my butt.

That's right, ladies and grunts, I salute you from the Seattle Municipal Court Jury Assembly room. It's a bright sunny room on the 12th floor of the Seattle Justice Center. I can see Mt. Rainier, Elliott Bay, Smith Tower, the Alaskan Way Viaduct, etc. etc. They have vending machines and wireless access. Dude!

So far it's been just as they say - lots of waiting. I got here at 8:30 and checked in. A judge came in to talk to us and then we watched an 18-minute video about what to expect. And ever since then we've all been just sitting here. I have spent my time reading a book for work (it's an interesting book though), checking my work email, and now, writing this of course.


It's lunch break now. I went to the Columbia Tower and got some pasta in the basement. You have to wear your juror badge all day including when you're out and about. The guy I bought the pasta from said they should pay jurors $100 a day instead of $10.

Now, back at the hall of justice, when I went through security the fellow operating the X-ray conveyor belt said, "Hello, madame juror."

I did find out that I have to come back here tomorrow and possibly Thursday as well. If I end up in a trial this afternoon I won't be able to discuss it. Not with Pete, not even with Sally. This was illustrated in the video by a female juror/mother pouring lemonade for her children after a tough day in the jury box.

Child: Mom, how was your day?
Mom: I can't talk about it.
Child: Why not?
Mom: Because it's a secret.
Child [crying]: Waaaaaah.
Mom: Just drink your farking lemonade, kid!

Some fun things about jury duty are taking the bus, reading and being online, and not having to do chores.

Some sad things about jury duty are sitting around forever, and bad coffee.

There's a guy here wearing an Eminem shirt. On the front Eminem is wearing a hockey mask and holding a chainsaw. I wonder if this guy is trying to get out of jury duty?


Toodles,
Bladio

4 Comments:

At 4/04/2006 2:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows, maybe some weasly, foul-mouthed, mad-at-the-world, rhyme-slinging wife-beater will want a jury of his peers and this guy will be there for him.

 
At 4/04/2006 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you tell someone a lie while you're wearing your badge, even if it's a little white one, can you say you're on "Perjury Duty"?

 
At 4/05/2006 8:01 PM , Blogger kww said...

Hey, are you still on jury duty? I can't believe I haven't heard more about it yet. I have always wanted to serve on a jury and finally received a summons last fall. Sadly you call the night before and they say which part of the alphabet they are *really* calling in, and they weren't taking any w folks. I was totally disappointed! What is weird is that two other people from the school of ed were called in the same day, and one got this crazy trial and one was dismissed. Oooh was I jealous.

Watie gets summoned in every city we used to live in--so when we moved to Oak Park he got summoned in MPLS and couldn't do it. Then we moved to DC and he got summoned in Chicago. Once back in chicago they summoned him to DC. Man oh man, they will catch up to him one of htese days.

In the meantime--why don't they want me?!!!! I am dying to perform this civic duty!

 
At 4/06/2006 11:18 AM , Blogger Ash said...

Was the 18 minute video of people sitting around waiting? If not, tell them it's time for a new, more accurate video! BTW - Did you hear that Eminem filed for divorce AGAIN today?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home