Public Service Announcement
Please be aware of this horrifying scenario. When I lived at the ranch in West Seattle, once I couldn't get out of the yard because a racoon was blocking the gate. I was right to stay away, away! Lock up your children and pets!
Psycho killer raccoons terrorize Olympia
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 ยท Last updated 7:52 a.m. PT
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
OLYMPIA, Washington -- A fierce group of raccoons has killed 10 cats, attacked a small dog and bitten at least one pet owner who had to get rabies shots, residents of Olympia say.
Some have taken to carrying pepper spray to ward off the masked marauders and the woman who was bitten now carries an iron pipe when she goes outside at night.
"It's a new breed," said Tamara Keeton, who with Kari Hall started a raccoon watch after an emotional neighborhood meeting drew 40 people. "They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."
Tony Benjamins, whose family lost two cats, said he got a big dog - a German Shepherd-Rottweiler mix - to keep the raccoons away.
One goal of the patrol is to get residents to stop feeding raccoons and to keep pets and pet food indoors.
Lisann Rolle said she began carrying an iron pipe when she goes outside at night after being bitten by raccoons when she tried to pull three of them off her cat Lucy. She obtained rabies shots afterward as a precaution.
"I was watching her like a hawk, but she snuck out," Rolle said. "Then I heard this hideous sound - a coyote-type high pitch ... It was vicious. They were focused on ripping her apart."
The attacks have been especially shocking because raccoons came within five feet (1 1/2 meters) of cats without any problem in previous years, Benjamins said.
Read the rest of this disturbing story.

6 Comments:
I heard this on the radio! Scary. Now I'm really pissed off at that lady who throws cat food and bread all over her lawn. Urgh!
Jon trapped at least one raccoon when he was trying to get that skunk! They are nasty creatures.
Yeah, I was carrying it in this wire cage and it was mad. It was hissing and jumping around and poking its claws and fangs out of the cage trying to get at me.
A confused David Bell has been spotted near Yakima.
HH-
I spelled it that way just for you.
They look so cute but they are evil little things! I think it's hilarious that the lady is carrying around a lead pipe. Are you effing kidding me? Get a BB gun!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home