Gary G.
When I go to the gym I have a workout mix that I listen to, and then after I turn it off, whatever the last song was stays in my head for awhile.
A couple weeks ago it was "Brick House" by the Commodores. (My copy of "Brick House" comes from my "Have a Nice Decade" 70's box set. On this box set they randomly put audio snippets from the 70's, like Nixon or other culturally symbolic people talking.)
I told Pete it was in my head, and then I said, "It's weird because at the end of the song, it's Gary Gilmore talking," and I explained about the box set and how weird it is to be working out to "Brick House" and then hear Gary Gilmore talking.
"What was he talking about?" Pete said. "What it was like hanging out in the 70's?"
And I paused, and I said slowly, "No, he was talking about his sentence and stuff."
Pete paused then too and then he started laughing. He had been thinking of Gary Glitter, not the mad killer Gary Gilmore!
Of course, Gary Glitter did have a sentence he could have talked about, but the timing on that was wrong to make the 70's box set.
("Hey!")

4 Comments:
It's funny how tunes will get stuck in your head (right Raggs? heh). It usually doesn't happen to me, but I can't get My Loony Bun is Fine Benny Lava out of my head!
Yay! You are back!
Does your mix include "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton-John? That came out in 1982, but it seems like a good workout song. But if you have that on your mix you have to wear legwarmers and a leotard! He he heeeeeeee.
Hey, I don't know Gary Glitter or Gary Gilmore.
I must have been really really little in the 70s.
I do know a Steve Gilmore though...does that count?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home