Bladio Blogio

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Breaking News from my alma mater

University of Iowa bans corn-on-the-cob eating contest
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - The University of Iowa is taking a stand for healthy lifestyles.

It has canceled an annual corn-on-the-cob eating contest, saying it sends the wrong message with the number of obese Americans on the rise."Promoting eating contests is the same as promoting gluttony," said Phillip Jones, vice president of student services.

The contest was part of the annual "Beat State Week" celebration leading up to the Iowa-Iowa State football game on Saturday.

But Jones asked his staff to veto eating contests. He said events that promote overeating contrast the "educational position" the university has taken.

"We are working toward creating a healthy lifestyle on campus, Jones said. "This is banning competitive eating for the sake of gorging oneself."

*************

I hope Watie wasn't planning to attend! He would have won for shore.

5 Comments:

At 9/14/2007 8:29 AM , Blogger NuclearToast said...

Wow, they canceled it. I don't get it. Because, you know, they were promoting gluttony. With vegetables. That you have to actually de-kernel, not just shove in your mouth and swallow.

So, I'm assuming they replaced it with a corn-shucking contest? Or perhaps a treadmill run-off?

 
At 9/14/2007 12:12 PM , Blogger Ash said...

That's sad. I like corn.

 
At 9/14/2007 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing they are not officially sanctioning the mass quantities of beer consumed on a game day, either.

Go Cyclones!

 
At 9/17/2007 9:36 AM , Blogger kww said...

Funny. You know what is sad, Watie is eating fewer corn-on-the-cobs these days--Don't ask me why, ask him!?! Maybe he learned that corn was a starch and not a vegetable after all and it took away some of the pleasure. I mean, I could win a bread eating contest, but I don't know that it is a good idea...

I do love corn...

 
At 9/24/2007 8:25 PM , Blogger watie said...

But, on Game day??? I would have totally rocked that corn eaing cotest.. Especialy if the rules allowed for butter gluttony, too.

I thin if I every have another blog, I would call it "Butter Gluttony"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home