Hello
As you may have noticed, I haven't been much for the bloggin' lately...I have been really busy with work, and my head's been in it too, so I haven't had a lot of room for the funny things to come in. In the past I was always sort of scatterbrained and generally distracted when at work, but lately I've been a lot more focused... Then when I get home and I'm not thinking about work, I avoid the computer since I sit at one all day.
I've been thinking about the Food Network (henceforth known as "the FN"). The other day I was watching Giada make some cookies and I thought, how many cookie recipes has she made? Let's say she's had her show for 2 years (I have no idea how long she's been on) and this is her third Christmas where she's cranking out the cookies. The network execs are putting the pressure on for more cookies, more cookies, because it's Christmas. But wouldn't she have put out her best recipes on her first Christmas show 2 years ago? Are these new recipes the dregs of her mind? This isn't just about Giada, it could apply to anyone on the FN, and really could apply not just to Christmas.
Another example. Last week Rachael Ray ("I don't like it when she says 'yum-o,'" says my sister) made a deviled egg frittatta or something. How disgusting is that? I'm sure she thought it was a good idea and maybe she even thinks it would be delicious but come on! Is she out of ideas or what?? I think once you get to green olives you are OUT of IDEAS.
Is this post the dregs of MY mind?
I suppose if you look at it the way you look at an author who keeps writing books, then, there's a chance that these cookies are the dregs of Giada's mind, but also a chance that they're not. If a writer keeps writing books and they continue to be good, perhaps a chef keeps creating recipes and they continue to be good. Except, in both cases, when they're not.
In other FN news, Pete is very sad that Emeril Live got cancelled. He is particularly worried about the band, because obviously Emeril has other shows and activities, but what about the band? He also pointed out that they are the only African-Americans on the FN. I have never seen any African-American chefs on the FN.*
I am somewhat sad about the cancellation of Emeril Live, because it's a fun show to watch and the band is cool - but I am not as despondent as Pete. It's been 10 years, and these things end eventually I guess.
In non-FN news I finished Tree of Smoke. Oh Denis Johnson I love you. "Lovely baby" DBD has it right when he says, "If you've never read anything by Johnson, you can really pick up any of them and get one of the best books you've ever read."
The film version of Jesus' Son came to Seattle right after I moved here, and Pete and I went. This was back in the year 2000. Isn't that funny? We were just friends then but we both loved Denis Johnson so we went to that movie together because we were so psyched for it. And then we got married!! (5 years later.) And then he got me Tree of Smoke for my birthday.
I whipped through Atonement again a couple of weeks ago to prepare for the movie. We're going to see it this weekend and we're excited.
*Actually now that I think about it, I think there was an African-American man who covered pastries and other sweets, but I'm not sure if he's a chef per se, or more of a field reporter. Also, I haven't seen him in a long time.

3 Comments:
I mostly agree about the dregs. But then I think, well I make cookies for Christmas every year, and even though my "star" cookies reappear each year, sometimes a new recipe is tried out and ends up in the final rotation. So maybe these chefs are trying new foods and food combinations all the time, and new recipes come to mind. Giada eats something at a restaurant and thinks "that reminds me of those burnt sugar cookies my Nana used to make" and then she recreates that recipe with a few contemporary twists. I'm probably giving these people way too much credit but you never know.
I've often wondered about chefs continuing to come up with new recipes. With all the shows and all the chefs covering that channel, I'm still surprised they can find new combinations of food. But maybe it just takes insight. For example, last night I saw these wonderful chocolate chip bacon cookies. Imaginative, no?
As far as African Americans, there used to be a large woman on during the day, but I don't remember her name or the show. It might have been the ethnic show that different people rotated through.
My grandma's Christmas cookie recipe is the best in the world. Yummy. I hope my mom makes them this year. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home