Coach Canada
I am in Canada for work. I'm writing this in my hotel room, in Word, because this hotel is old fashioned and only has a hard-wired Internet connection, and the cord won't reach to the bed.
I am watching "Coach", that show from the late 80's. The only reason I'm watching it is because in between scenes, they use shots of the University of Iowa to represent the fictional Minnesota State University (my friend Shannon told me this back when we went there). I'm on my second episode and so far I've seen Quad (not "the Quad," just "Quad") which is a dorm on the other side of the river where my friend Jon F lived, and the Pentacrest. The Pentacrest is not related to the devil, it's these 5 old buildings that form the core of campus. Did you know that the main character, Hayden Fox, is named in honor of Iowa football coach legend Hayden Fry? One of Hayden Fry's famous sayings is "Scratch where it itches" which I love! What a funny thing to say, and imagine that being your famous quote! (Credit to jonnynono who first told me this quote.) Also, when I was at Iowa there was this thing going on with Hayden's moustache. Sometimes when he had a moustache they would win a few, so he would keep it, then if they lost he would shave it, and on and on. It was very exciting and made football news interesting for a person who didn't really care about football at that time i.e. me. Side note, Craig T. Nelson's character doesn't seem like Hayden Fry at all. This fictional coach is very silly. For example, right now he's at a sleep clinic in his boxer shorts with a swimming cap on his head, hooked up to electrodes, trying to learn why he snores. He made reference to his junk, too! Oh geez! Now he's all tangled up with Luther in a single bed. I don't think Hayden Fry would be in such a silly situation.
In other Canada news, I am sad for the folks here ā according to the TV commercials playing every 5 minutes, they are just now getting the stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut. I know this has been in the U.S. since at least 1998. (I know this because it was around this time that KWW, Watie and I drove to Minneapolis and stopped for the night in Story City, Iowa, and Katie called the local pizza place [not Pizza Hut] and asked, "Do you have the ring of cheese?" They did not, and as a matter of fact, they were closed. This is the same night that Paolo the dog had a wink all night due to a toy that inadvertently landed close to his eye. His eye was ok the next day.) Anyway, maybe this is the second round for the "ring of cheese" in Canada, I will check with Shafty as long as he hasn't forgotten all his Canadian history while studying for the U.S. citizenship exam.
Ok Iām going to plug in and post this now. But one last thing ā in their commercials they say "withoot" etc. Ha ha! Canadians are so cute!

5 Comments:
This post is full of stream-of-consciousness goodness!
You should go on trips more often because you make awesome posts when you're bored in a hotel room. <grin>
I never knew that U of I was shown on 'Coach'! How come I never knew that?
In another classic saying about itching/scratching,there used to be a warthog on Sesame Street that would say "I get my melons in the melon patch...and when I'm itchy, I scratch!"
OOOH, I loved reading that post...
I miss you!
I used to love that show. Whatever happend to Craig T. Nelson? Do you think he thought that Coach would be a launching pad towards stardom? Don't you think every actor probably thinks that? I feel sad for people like Alfonso Ribiero who have to watch people who were their former costars (Will Smith) become giant mega movie stars. That must be hard.
"Ring of cheese" = LOL!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home