Otherwise known as
A couple weeks ago I was reading "Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great" by Judy Blume to my niece. We were at the very beginning and it said something about a CD player.
A CD player????
I said (like a classic elderly aunt): "We didn't have CD players back then."
I was and still am shocked. When I was reading that book as a kid, I was reading my sisters' old copy, which had probably been purchased around 1975 or something. Wikipedia says it was published in 1972.
This is lame. Here is an explanatory note from Wikipedia: "The post-2002 reprints of this book have some lines edited and a bit of new content added to update the technology use in it (for instance, record players are replaced with CD players, and the camp's copier keeps malfunctioning, which is why Sheila must use a mimeograph machine, whereas the original had the camp already still using their mimeograph machine and not having a copier yet). "
The question is WHY? Why would they do that, and why would Judy allow it?
I wonder if they'll add a CD player to the "Little House" books to replace Pa playing his fiddle?!
Fark that, dude!

3 Comments:
TRAVESTY! The next thing you know, they'll be adding color to old black-and-white movies! Or adding CGI details to Star Wars!
Dang retconners...
Unfortunately, I think Nancy Drew now has a cell phone in some instances. It's very disturbing. It's like they're not giving their readers enough credit.
Unforgivable.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home